BARTAs Veterinary Responder course is designed to support veterinary team members when attending large animal incidents alongside the emergency services.
National guidance for the fire and rescue service and the Civil Contingencies Act both recognise the importance of trained veterinary responders attending and supporting the resolution of incidents involving animals.
The course will assist vets in improving outcomes through mutual understanding of capabilities, knowledge of incident command procedures and how veterinary specialists fit into a multi agency response team.
Key areas of learning include:
- Working knowledge of large animal rescue principles and techniques
- Understand incident command protocols and the veterinary specialist role
- Support the resolution of incidents involving large animals by providing:
- triage and viability assessment
- advice to inform the rescue tactical plan
- identification of risks from animal or environment
- chemical control
- pre-hospital care through casualty management
- Contribute to post incident hot debrief, provide feedback, responder welfare and support
Feedback from our January 2023 said;
“Definitely feel much more prepared to face one of these scenarios than I did before the course"
“A must have in your CPD record"
" Good mix of classroom and practical"
Duration: 1 day (Maximum 12 Delegates)
Alternative locations may be arranged for larger regional courses, please contact us to discuss options
Eligible candidates: Large animal veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses
Please contact us directly to if you wish to discuss potential dates for responder training.