The BARTA Large Animal Rescue Team Leader Advanced level course is linked to the knowledge and understanding criteria for Fire and Rescue Service National Operational Guidance (NOG) (Equivalent Fire and Rescue Service AR3 level).
Designed to equip large animal rescue team leaders with situational awareness and skills to safely manage a team and resolve incidents involving large animals.
Key outcomes will be the ability to assess a variety of operational situations and develop tactical plans in conjunction with veterinary professionals and associated agencies, leading to safe, welfare driven outcomes.
Key areas of learning include:
- Situational awareness: Common species encountered, environments, impact of people and legislation applicable to the first responder
- Casualty centred rescue: Tactical use of chemical control and anatomical considerations for chosen rescue techniques
- Advanced practical equine skills: Planning safe capture, loading, evacuation and corralling of equines in emergencies and disasters
- Transportation: Understanding common transportation vehicle configurations and practical considerations for rescue
- Case studies and scenarios: Application of learning through table top and practical scenarios
Duration: 4 days (Maximum 12 Delegates)
Eligible candidates: Delegates may attend from agencies with an organised response model for dealing with incidents involving large animals and who ideally have proven operational experience in attending large animal rescues.
Prerequisite: Eligible candidates will have completed either:
- BARTA Intermediate level Equine Encounters, Livestock Encounters and Large Animal Rescue Responder training and/or
- Achieved Fire and Rescue Service AR2 competency aligned with CFOA / NFCC Animal Rescue Practitioners Forum syllabus / learning outcomes
A pre-course online assessment will be a prerequisite to ensure standardisation of knowledge and understanding at intermediate level.
Accredited prior learning will be considered in relation to large animal psychology and handling.
Subject to government restrictions our next course will take place;
- 15th to 18th March 2022 – 1/22 (full)
- 17th to 20th May 2022 – 2/22 (full)
- 19th to 22nd July 2022 – 3/22 (Full)
- 10th to 13th October 2022 – 4/22 (Full)
- 28th November to 1st December 2022 – 5/22 (4 Spaces)
Course Costs Per Delegate:
- Standard Rate: £2229
- Public Services discounted rate: £1337
Further concessionary rates may apply, contact us to discuss your organisational needs.